Friday, November 11, 2011

Another trip to the Central Market

After my morning walk I came back to the guest house, had another cup of coffee and then headed back to the Central Market in Lajpat Nagar. It was fun to leisurely walk around, take a few photos, drool over all the delicious looking street food, and finally giving in to the temptations. So  I finally  had my first street food experience today and I can only kick myself in the ass for not doing it sooner. I had two very large samosas with a sauce in a small tin plate. I wish I took a photo of it but I was too busy eating. It was by far the best samosa I've every had, and the sauce was spicy and delicious too. I could have stood there and eaten all day but two were enough. Total cost was 18 rupees, or about 37 cents. If I did this every day twice a day I (and my wallet) would be really happy. Oh, while I was at the market I also found an ice cream store, one large cup of vanilla (very good vanilla at that) was 39 rupees (80 cents) and a bottle of diet coke was 30 rupees (61 cents). The current exchange rate that I'm getting at the ATMs is about 48.7 rupees per dollar. Since I went to the market at 11:30 am it was much more crowded today, all the store were open and people everywhere. It was nice to come yesterday when it was slow so that I could get my bearings, it sure helped for today. Not so many people stared at me today.

By the way, for those of you who don't know what a samosa is, it is a pastry that is usually stuffed with spiced potatoes, onions, peas, coriander and sometimes lentils, then it is deep fried and served with a chutney or in today's case a savory sauce. 

Stats
Samosas eaten   2
Times street food consumed 1
Bouts of Delhi Belly  0
Cow patties stepped in 0



(the stall where I bought and ate my two samosas)

It's weird, I enjoy having house boys that tend to my every need. I enjoy my meals being prepared for me without the worry of where am I going to go for lunch or dinner. I like that my cousin put me up in his guest house so I didn't have to worry about finding a hotel, one that I liked and could afford. It's all going to change of course when my mom and step dad get here. Then we'll be moving every other day or so  to a new place when we start the south India tour. Then when they leave I'll be on my own for six weeks, having to find hotels and ways to get to the next place, deciding on my own where to go and how long to stay. I know that it'll be hard to adjust after all this pampering. And it may be harder than I think to do it on my own, but that is part of the adventure, isn't it?

You can click on any photo for a larger view.







Formal Indian wear for men







Fresh and Tasty American corn, it's frozen corn that is steamed

Kentucky Fried Chicken is even here









Street food vendor's menu, current exchange rate is 48.7 rupees per US dollar




Garbage collector separating paper and plastic from his collection

The building I'm staying in, the guest house I'm using is the first balcony above the guard's shack

The guard and his 5 year old son. The guard works 8am to 8pm seven days a week

No comments:

Post a Comment